STRIDES Study Reaches Million-donor Milestone
The NHS Blood and Transplant (NHSBT) blood donor management research project, STRIDES, now has more than one million donors taking part in the main cluster randomised trial, just 18 months after its launch.
An NHSBT partnership with the University of Cambridge and the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR), the STRategies to Improve Donor ExperienceS (STRIDES) study began in November 2019 and is considering the effect of different interventions on the blood donation experience.
STRIDES is one of several blood donor studies coordinated by the NIHR Blood and Transplant Research Unit (BTRU) in Donor Health and Genomics at the University of Cambridge.
Ella Poppitt, Chief Nurse – Blood Donation, at NHSBT said: “We are very proud of all the work that has been completed to achieve this incredible milestone of one million donors recruited to the main STRIDES study.
“We are extremely grateful to every donor that has contributed and the efforts on the ground by the blood collection and research teams to enable this to happen.
“This study will improve the effectiveness of interventions on a blood donation session that will make donation even safer for the donor.”
The interventions include changes to leaflets that donors read before donation, drinks offered in the waiting area, and advice given during and after donation.
The study has two additional objectives:
- to collect blood samples and questionnaire data from whole blood donors for research purposes.
- to establish a panel, or BioResource – part of the NIHR BioResource, of thousands of healthy volunteers who are willing to be contacted and asked if they wish to participate in medical and health-related studies.
STRIDES is taking place across all our blood donation centres and mobile sessions and is due to conclude in November 2022.
Companies In This Post
- Sherlock Biosciences Acquires Sense Biodetection Advancing CRISPR-Based Diagnostics for Consumers Read more
- Genoscience Pharma receives FDA Orphan Drug Designation for ezurpimtrostat to treat HepatoCellular Carcinoma (HCC) Read more
- AviadoBio Announces Appointment of Jeff Goater as Chair of the Board of Directors Read more
- Ellipses Pharma Announces FDA Approval of IND Application for EP0042 for Patients With Acute Myeloid Leukaemia Read more
- Ariceum Therapeutics Appoints Radioligand Expert, Germo Gericke, as Chief Medical Officer Read more